Editor’s Note: The postgame notes are courtesy of Oklahoma State Athletics media relations
BAYLOR 74, Oklahoma State 58
January 14, 2023 | Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center | Attendance: N/a
Updated Records: Oklahoma State 9-8 overall, 1-4 Big 12 | Baylor 12-5, 2-3 Big 12
Oklahoma State Leaders: Points — Caleb Asberry – 14, Assists — Quion Williams, Avery Anderson III – 3, Rebounds — Caleb Asberry – 7
Baylor Leaders: Points — LJ Cryer – 16, Assists — Adam Flagler – 8 , Rebounds — Jalen Bridges, Keyonte George – 8
- Avery Anderson III scored the first bucket for the Cowboys as he approached the 1,000-career point milestone, needing just 15 more points. The Cowboys trailed 13-2 to open the first half.
- A block and an ensuing fast-break layup from Caleb Asberry made the score 17-9 as the Cowboys offense tried to settle in on the road.
- Back-to-back threes from Quion Williams and Caleb Asberry brought the Cowboys within two points, as Baylor took a timeout with the lead, 17-15.
- A 12-2 run from the Bears extended their lead to 34-19 as OSU struggled to find consistency on the offensive end.
- The Cowboys outscored the Bears 12-6 in the paint in the first half but trailed 39-23 at the break.
- Bryce Thompson’s first points of the game started the second-half scoring for the Pokes.
- Avery Anderson III continued to attack the rim, hanging in the air for an and-1 to put him into double-figures, but the Bears lead remained at 19.
- A power outage inside the arena caused a delay with the score at 59-36 in Baylor’s favor.
- The Cowboys couldn’t find a comeback in this one, falling to the Bears by a score of 74-58.
- Head coach Mike Boynton went with Avery Anderson III, Bryce Thompson, John-Michael Wright, Kalib Boone and Tyreek Smith as the starting-five for the third-straight game.
- Avery Anderson III is close to reaching the illustrious 1,000 career-point mark, needing just six more points after scoring 11 against Baylor.
- Caleb Asberry has been the Cowboys most consistent offensive threat lately, scoring 29 points in the last two games, combined.
- OSU has held 14 of its 17 opponents to 35 percent shooting or less from the three-point line, and 10 of 17 have shot less than 30 percent.
- Tyreek Smith has started the previous three games in place of Moussa Cisse and has stepped up in a big way on the defensive end. In three starts, Smith has recorded seven blocks.
- Quion Williams made his first-career three-pointer in Big 12 play early in the first half.
- The OSU bench unit has outscored four of its last five opponents.
- OSU has made at least one three-pointer in 744 consecutive games dating back to Jan. 13, 2001.
- The Cowboys have posted ten or more assists in 24 of their past 29 games dating back to last season.
- Dating back to last season, OSU has held 20 of its past 21 opponents under their season scoring average.
- Oklahoma State has used its size to dominate in the paint offensively, outscoring 12 of its 17 opponents in the paint.
- As a team, the Cowboys have reached at least three blocks in all 17 games this season. OSU leads the Big 12 with 5.6 blocked shots per game, which ranks 17th in the country.
- The Cowboys have made 10 or more free throws in 11 of the first 17 games this season after doing so in 18 of their 30 games last season.
- OSU has forced 10 or more turnovers in nine-straight Big 12 games.
Stay with GoPokes247 and 247Sports for the latest updates on Oklahoma State football, basketball and recruiting